In 1858 the first complete road map of the town appeared. This map, and its companion detail maps of Chesterfield Center and Chesterfield Factory (Spofford), come from the Map of Cheshire County by L. Fagan, a large wall map.
Most of the roads are shown, but more importantly, the maps show every home, school, church, cemetery and business and the names of the owners.
The maps have proved to be a very accurate picture of Chesterfield in 1858. Many geographic place names appear for the first time, such as Governor’s Brook and Pistareen Mountain. Both the upper (Davis) and lower (Norcross) ferries are identified by name. The mountain we call Wantastiquet is called Mine Mountain.
The population of Chesterfield was 1434 in 1860.