This page contains three detailed maps of the Village Center
This marvelous pictorial map of Center Village was drawn by Hoyt H. Wheeler at the age of sixteen. A great grandson of an early settler, Peter Wheeler, Hoyt was educated at the Chesterfield Academy and moved to Newfane, Vt in 1849. He became a schoolmaster, then read for the law, was appointed a judge of the U.S. District Court of Vermont. He was also a surveyor.
This map shows the old meeting house just two years before it was burned. It is the only image we have of this historic structure.
Also of note, are a town pump in the farmyard of the Mead Tavern and the detail of the present Old Chesterfield Road, showing the now abandoned southern fork.
The population of Chesterfield was 1840 was 1,765, down 13% from 1830.
(This map was a gift of Betty Richmond of Westmoreland.)
The Center Village detail map shows two churches, two stores, a hotel, a blacksmith shop, and, curiously, an elm tree in the middle of Main Street (Route 63). The old road leading westward between the store and Harvey House is noted.
The population in Chesterfield in 1860 was 1,434, down 14.6% from 1850.
The current roads are all noted.
The population of Chesterfield had dropped to 981, down 6.2% from 1880