Chesterfield NH Historical Society
Chesterfield NH Historical Society

Vanetta C. Emery

February 2, 1913 - June 2, 2004

Vanetta was a woman of many talents that the Town of Chesterfield was blessed to receive.  She was born in Brattleboro, VT, but spent most of her life in Spofford Village living in a home built by her great-uncle Frank Hamilton.  The Hamiltons had come to Chesterfield sometime between 1780 and 1785.

 

She was a graduate of Keene High School and Keene Normal School, now Keene State College.  She taught the lower grades at the two-room School House No. 13 across the street from her home.  She was among the first group of educators to teach in the new central school in Center Chesterfield.  She married Donald C. Emery, who served as a Town Selectman, and raised two children, Lucinda and Clifford. 

 

Her artistic talents were evidenced by the fine rug-braiding and stenciling that she did.  She was a member of the Daughters of the American Revolution and the Keene Button Club.

 

Being a descendant of Chesterfield stock, she had a lifelong love for the town, its history and its inhabitants.  She served as historian and genealogist.  Her special love was her Hardscrabble people.  She worked many years researching the families and businesses in the abandoned southeastern section of town. 

 

She was a member of the Town of Chesterfield Historical Committee and the driving force behind the founding of the Chesterfield Historical Society in 1974, serving as its first President.  She also worked very hard in making sure that’s Chesterfield’s celebration of the bicentennial was a great success.  She collected Chesterfield memorabilia and shared her knowledge about the town by writing articles for the old Chesterfield News.

 

Even after their retirement to Lake Placid, FL in 1988, Vanetta kept in touch through visits and letters.  She was an amazing woman who shared her many talents to further knowledge so that future generations could appreciate their roots. 

Print Print | Sitemap
© Chesterfield Historical Society