Below is a list of our 24 cemeteries, their location and interesting facts about them. If you wish to dig deeper, the Chesterfield Historical Society has compiled a book that details their occupants, some of their locations, and interesting epitaphs. This book is not available on-line. But, our staff will be willing to share it with you during a visit.
The Cemetery Commission is responsible for the caretaking of our cemeteries. The town’s sexton makes arrangements for everything related to burials. This Information can be obtained by going to the Chesterfield Cemetery Commission web-site.
Burying Thomas Ground
(Journey’s End Burying-Ground)
Also known as the Journey’s End, it contains the town’s oldest gravestone, that of Aaron Thomas, who died at the age of seven in May 1765. There are only two stones in this yard. Historically it is close to one of the earliest sites settled in town. This burying ground is on private property. Access to it must be obtained from the landowners, the Chesterfield Cemetery Commission, or the Chesterfield Historical Society.
Also known as the Moses Smith, Clay Hill, Goodrich, Smith-Winslow, or Welcome Hill Cemetery, this is one of the town’s oldest and best-preserved cemeteries. Deeded on Jan. 8, 1772 to Simon Davis, it contains 146 labeled graves with many more marked only by field stones. The oldest is Archibald Thomas, dated 1773 and the most recent dated 1862. The cemetery is easily reached. It is just off Route 9 at the base of Welcome Hill Road in West Chesterfield.
New Boston Cemetery
Also known as the Stoddard Cemetery, it was deed to Arad Stoddard in 1832. There are 86 labeled graves with the town’s only brownstone monument dedicated to the five children of David & Harriet Stoddard who died of diphtheria in July 1864. The oldest grave is dated 1827 with the most recent 1934. The cemetery is located two miles southeast on Gulf Road from the intersection of Mountain Road.
Chesterfield West Cemetery
Privately owned and managed until 1996, it contains a post-Revolutionary section on the north side, a fine formal Victorian main section in the center, and a modern section at the south. It contains many interesting personage, among them Stephen Streeter (the bard of Streeter Hill Road) and Oran Randall, Chesterfield historian and who’s “History of Chesterfield” is still available for sell through the Historical Society. Also buried here are Revolutionary, Civil, and Korean War Veterans. The yard holds a ornate fountain, a family tomb (the only one in town), and a receiving vault, which is no longer in use. It is located on Poor Road about ¾ of a mile north of the intersection of Route 9 in West Chesterfield.
It is believe that those buried here were moved to the Chesterfield West Cemetery in the 19th Century when the location had become more fashionable and the last Chamberlain had moved to the village. The yard still contains two set slate stones and four uprooted leaners. Six individual’s names are on record for having been interned here between 1829 and 1852. It is located on the east (right) side of Poocham Road slightly across from the Timothy N. Robertson Burying-ground about 1 ¾ mile north of Route 9.
Timothy N. Robertson
Also known as the North-west
Burying-ground, it was bought by James Robertson in 1813 and was located on the corner of the Robertson farm. There are 25 stones bearing 44 names ranging from 1775 – 1995. Adjacent to the cemetery is the sign commemorating the first preaching of Methodism in New Hampshire, which took place near the Robertson farm. The yard is located on the west (left) side of Poocham Road about 1 ¾ mile north of Route 9.
The last of the four known Poocham Road burying grounds, the Presho yard is about 3/8 of a mile north of the Timothy Robertson Burying-ground. It contains six granite fence posts holding the border chain. This is the last of this type of fencing left in town. There are five headstones dating from 1843 – 1899.
The yard contains 19 known graves, ranging from 1821 – 1921. The descendants of Peter Wheeler, a housewright and one of the town’s first settlers are buried here. Among them are Watson Wheeler, buried beside his three wives and two of his children. It is located a short distance south of Route 9 on the east (left) side of Twin Brook Road.
This small, shaded yard contains 24 stones ranging in date from 1810 – 1971. Of note are the graves of Joseph Convarse and Levi Mead, both Revolutionary War soldiers. An interesting 1858 gate separates the top section from the vacant forecourt on a steep hillside. No known burials have taken place in the forecourt area. It is located just south of the Friedsam cemetery on Rout 63 about 5/8 mile south of the Route 9 intersection or go 3/8 miles north from Town Hall. Look for the walled open area on the west side of the road.
This yard’s eight acres were purchased from the Spofford Methodist Church in 1965 to create Chesterfield’s newest and still active cemetery. "Gentleman Jim" O'Neil and his son William (See Notable Citizens) are among the interred. It is situated atop of Wetherbee Hill about ½ mile south from the junction of Route 9 on Route 63 on the west (right) side. From it is a splendid view of the scenic hills to the east.
This unique graveyard is the town’s only circular one and the smallest. Only one stone marks the graves of Joab, d. 1842 - a Revolutionary soldier and his wife Abigail Wetherbee, d. 1846. They lived on top of the hill where the Friedsam Cemetery now is. It is located on Route 63, ½ mile south of the intersection of Route 9 next to the entrance of the Friedsam Cemetery.
Noyes Robertson-Coolidge Cemetery
Also known as the Castle Road Cemetery, this 19th Century cemetery retains its marble headstones and monuments, stonewall, picket fence, and handsome cast-iron gate. It contains 80 known graves the oldest dated 1825. Some of Chesterfield’s most noted 19th Century families are buried here. The town’s service veteran’s plot is located in the southwest front corner with the most recent burial dated 2001. From Chesterfield Center, drive ½ mile south on Route 63, go right on Stage Road, than take the first left onto Castle Road. The cemetery is located ¼ mile down this dirt road on the right side.
(Town Hall or Meeting House
On Dec. 26, 1771, Josiah Willard, one of the original town grantees, deeded to the Selectmen, “five acres where the Meeting house now stands for a training field and burial yard.” The yard contains at least 300 marked graves with dates ranging from 1766 – 1919. In the back are many sunken grave sites. Whether or not they had gravestones is not known. These could be unmarked paupers’ graves. The graveyard contains fourteen known Revolutionary War soldiers and two family groups who had multiple children die within days of each other. The first stone in the yard was for Isaac Hildreth, age 6, who died in 1776. The cemetery is located directly behind the Town Hall and Historical Society Building in the center of Chesterfield.
Built on land given to Benjamin Joslyn in 1815 and later added to as a private association, this cemetery contains about 150 stones listing 247 names whose death dates range from 1815 – 1936. The southwest end (Joslyn) is the oldest and contains the grave of Rev. Abraham Wood, Chesterfield’s first minister and that of Bvt. Brig-Gen. Herbert B. Titus (See Notable Chesterfield Persons). The later northeast section is adorned by the 1890 Ware Gateway and contains the family plots of many prominent 19th Century Chesterfield citizens including Ezekiel Pierce Family who owned and operated what is now, The Stone House Tavern. To find it from Chesterfield Center take Old Chesterfield Road east for about ½ mile. The cemetery is located on the right (southeast) side of the road.
This cemetery is made up of three distinct sections, Spofford Town Yard, Spofford Cemetery Association Cemetery, and Spofford Cemetery Annex. To find it from Spofford Village on Route 9A, drive up North shore road, past the Spofford Post Office and take the first right onto High Street. The paved entrance is a short distance on the left.
The oldest section is Spofford Town Yard, or “The Town Yard” or “Spofford 1806”. There are approximately 350 known burial in this section, ranging from 1806 to 2001. The town’s only remaining underground crypt is built into the south side of the hill and still in excellent condition though no longer used.
The Spofford Cemetery Association section was established in 1887 – 1888 as the Chesterfield Factory Association Cemetery and is now referred to as the “Spofford 1888”. This section lies on both sides of the entrance road in the relatively flat central area. It contains a variety of stone types, ranging from slim marble uprights to imposing granite blocks weighing tons.
The Spofford Cemetery Annex, first opened for use in 1965, is situated on the steep hillside at the left rear (northwest) corner. There is a fine view over the entire cemetery from this point.
This small yard contains twelve known graves ranging in date from 1836 – 1881. It is believed that most were moved to the Spofford Cemetery after the Spofford 1888 section opened. It is located on the south side of Edgar Road.
Also known as the North-east Burying-Ground, this remote cemetery contains 52 known graves, ranging in date from 1787 – 1892. Among those buried are Samuel Warren (Revolutionary Soldier), Silas Richardson, Joseph Patridge and Sophonia Mann Pierce, who died at the age of 101 years, 11 months. It is located atop a steep hill off Edgar Road in the Spofford District. Access is only available on foot and by guided tour. Those interested should contact the Chesterfield Cemetery Commission or the Chesterfield Historical Society.
Deeded to the town in 1817 by Joseph Atherton, this yard contains 36 Known graves ranging in date from 1814 – 1917. It can be accessed by a five minute walk along a narrow lane (Bartlett Road.) to the south off Atherton Hill Road, about 1 ½ miles from the junction of Route 9 near Spofford Village.
The Hardscrabble Burying-Grounds
Most of the four Hardscrabble burying-grounds are not easily accessible. They require 4-wheel (or all wheel drive) and often a high ground clearance vehicles during parts of the year plus some walking. If one is seriously interested in visiting them, contact the Cemetery Commission or the Historical Society for up-to-date road information and/or guided tour. They are the Robbins, Taylor-Black, and Draper-Couch Burying-grounds, plus the Latham-Beal Cemetery. To get to their locations, start from the intersection of Routes 9 & 63, head east on Route 9 for 1.6 miles. Turn right onto Old Chesterfield Road, and then take an immediate left onto Tuttle Road. Proceed .3 miles past Holman Hill Road and take a right onto Old Swanzey road.
This raised burying-ground, surrounded by a low wall of granite blocks, is in all probability empty now. It is believed the remains were removed for reburial elsewhere when the Robbins family left their nearby home and moved to the village. To get to Robbins Burying-ground proceed on Old Swanzey Road for 1 mile and then turn right (ignore the road sign that says “Zinn Road”- do not take it). Drive down .6 mile and the burying-ground will be on the left.
This out of the way burying ground contains six marble stones with ten names dated 1813 – 1876. To reach it from Robbins Cemetery proceed another .2 miles and take a right. You will see a small Pisgah State Park Sign on the power pole numbered 410 directly ahead of you. Drive on .15 mile; looking up into the woods on the right side, you will see the sign for Taylor-Black Cemetery. It is 300 feet up off the trail. Parking is difficult here, so you may have to drive on and walk back.
This cemetery is one of the town’s oldest with 24 listed names and dates ranging from 1790 – 1885. It is within the border of Pisgah State Park. From Taylor-Black continue on to Pisgah State Park. The burying-ground is about 1 mile walk inside the park. Take the Beal’s Road trail which is a little ways from the gate. Pass Beal’s Knob and and turn right down “Beal’s Road”. The cemetery is on the right. This hike, depending on the season, is a moderate/short trek requiring good boots or walking shoes, bug spray and water.
There are ten marble stones here with dates ranging from 1830 to 1904. Notable stone is for Sarah Draper who lived to the age of 101 years. This is a fine old burying-ground in a pretty but difficult to get to setting. Go past Pisgah Park’s main gate at Beal’s Road. This road continues across Hine’s meadow which during high water is not accessible via vehicle. It is recommended that you walk. Stay on the road about a mile, passing a log landing on the right. The cemetery will be on the left.